Feb 1, 2011

Day #1

Tourists. 

In almost every large city there are bound to be tourists around. I grew up in the capital of Illinois. Some have visited this wonderful place to learn more about Abraham Lincoln. Yes, he was a great man and accomplished some pretty awesome things, but after awhile we are all ready to hear about something new. 

Tourist are easy to spot. 

Whether it is how they are dressed...

Or how the map is blocking their view...

We have ALL been there now and again in our life. 

Almost everyone enjoys traveling and discovering new places. One of my very favorite things in life is traveling and learning about others cultures and ways of life. Although our own town/city may be boring in our eyes, it is a new adventure to another. 

Now, living in Chicago instead of Springfield...tourists are absolutely everywhere.

...unless there is a blizzard going on outside!

Although we may get frustrated with having visitors in our town because their walking or driving is slowing us down,  remember that everyone has been there and it is nice to take in the new sites. 

For my first act of the unexpected I offered my kindness to tourists close to my home. 
On January 21, 2011

None other than Wrigley Field.

Yes, tourists love this place...especially those cub fans. I am not a baseball fan, but I hear that cub fans love this place. I did however go to a Dave Matthews Band Concert this past fall and stood on the field two nights in a row. 

It was magical...

On my way to a GREAT little cafe called Uncommon Ground only a few blocks from Wrigley...I ran into a couple and yes they were tourists. Lucky for them it was the coldest day ever! I believe the real feel was negative 3 degrees outside. Any who...I saw the girl with a camera staring up at the Wrigley Field sign and her boyfriend standing to her left in a hoodie (not the most ideal coat for the weather). I then stopped to ask if they would like a picture, after hesitating and wondering if I was abut to rob their camera, she gratefully said yes. 

I took the time out to help a stranger or two that happened to be tourists. I know that when I visit a new place I want to remember not only the sites but the residents as well. 

So...next time you see a tourist remember how you want to feel in a new place...

Welcome.


Have you ever had an experience when traveling that was pleasant because of a kind gesture from a stranger?

-Jayme Lynn






Photos courtesy of Flikr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment