Mar 6, 2011

Day #12

The Homeless.

Unfortunately, there are thousands of people young and old with no bed to go home to at the end of the day.

Every city has people asking for change or food.

All around the world are people asking and needing help.



People tend to forget that they are people just like everyone else.


With stories and memories.


And have made mistakes and taken wrong turns just like you and me.


We all end up in different places.

Before judging or walking by with disgust think about their stories. 

When I lived in the Loop of Chicago there was a man that I walked past everyday.

"HAPPY MONDAY!" 

"HAPPY TUESDAY EVERYBODY!"

"HAPPY WEDNESDAY LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!"

 ETC.

Everyday he was out greeting everybody on the way to work and school.

He put a giant smile on my face each time and since moving I still walk over the bridge he greets on.

On Feb. 1st I visited my near by Walgreens closest to school.

(This was also the day the Blizzard of 2011 was brewing)

Looks better than it was.


This man is there almost everyday.

He is alway bent over.

He was trying to reach his dropped glove.

Instead of passing by like the hundreds of others...I stopped.

Picked up his glove and helped him.

There wasn't too much I could do for him.

I was sad thinking about where he was going to stay tonight during the blizzard.

I am not asking you to give all of your money to people asking for it or to take them home and let them sleep in your guest room.

It is true that some people may use the money for things other than food.

Maybe just stop and hear their story.

Bring them a warm cup of tea.

Or even a sandwich.

Do you pass by someone needing help and think about how you would feel in their shoes?

Always, Jayme Lynn

Photos courtesy of Flikr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment